Friday, February 02, 2007

Carnival of Ethics, Values, and Personal Finance #2 Summary

Tired but Happy is hosting this month's Carnival of Ethics, Values, and Personal Finance #2 (they should really come up with a shorter title), and I'm taking part with my article on advertising. Out of all of the carnivals in which I take part, I think this carnival has the best overall quality in content. Maybe it's because many are writing from their hearts about ideas in which they sincerely believe. Maybe it's because the bloggers aren't looking to make a profit, unlike some of the ones in some of the PF carnivals. Whatever the reason, it's good to know there's a lot of good people (and good writers) out there.

Queercents asks "What class are you?" Me, personally, well I'm just classy..... ok, not really, but I like to pretend. In another article (yes, a rare feat, the two-fer), he questions profiting from what we morally don't approve. I feel the same way since I'm sure some of my investments are profiting from things I don't approve, but I'm not sure what they are since I only have mutual funds. Some socially responsible mutual funds exist, so I hope to look into that option next time I make an investment.

ISPF explores the value of tipping. I always tip my hat to the fair ladies - I'm such a gentleman.

Fiscal Responsibility looks at giving back. I can totally relate to his/her hesitation to give back to the alma mater. Last year, when I had an income, albeit very little, I did not donate to my alma mater. One of my reasons was that, "well, I'm hardly making that much, and I need the money more than the school." However, now that I'm in school and make no money at all, I feel compelled to give back. Why? I was awarded a generous scholarship, so I pay very little for my education right now. As much as I'd like to attribute it to my hard work and achievements, I could never deny the impact the first two years of college had on my personal growth and getting me to where I am today. My net value will be in the red for about another decade, but with how much money I save, I can justify donating some of those savings. Oxford College, look out for $100 donation at the end of the year.

Wise Bread retells the greatest story ever told (no, not Cinderella). I guess if you tell a story enough times, everyone will eventually believe it. Sound eerily familiar?

Getting Green sends out the red light about debt elimination scams. Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is - except for the deals I post here :p

makingourway discusses turning of the tides against class action law suits. Seeing as I'm studying to enter a profession hit by them pretty heavily, I must say, I'm glad this is happening.

Millionaire Artist gives a good anecdote about the relationship between integrity and wealth-building. I think that's why it's important, no matter how rich or poor you are, to stick to your morals and be generous. What you give out will come back 10 times over. Call it karma.

There were many other great posts, but some of them, I've already highlighted in other carnivals or the Sunday Paper. Also, for whatever reason, there were more submissions with a political bent to them, so if you like that stuff, go check it out!

StumbleUpon Toolbar

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Thanks for the mention!

February 5, 2007 at 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home