Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Sunday Paper #4

The Sunday Paper 4th installment:

Mapgirl's Fiscal Challenge tells her story of unsacrificed travel. While she calls it unsacrificed, I would say that putting all your income towards a trip is a pretty large sacrifice, but I guess it you compare it to say, selling your kidney on the black market, it's not as great of a sacrifice. I'm a huge believer in the concept of pay-it-forward, and it's good to hear how it affects the lives of others.

Get Rich Slowly takes a stab at behavioral finance. I find human behavior pretty fascinating, and given its implications with finance, it can help you examine your own financial habits.

Blueprint of Financial Prosperity takes a look at historical federal tax brackets. I didn't realize that taxes were so much higher at some points in history. I think that's part of what is wrong with our generation - people are too self-centered to contribute to the greater good. During World War II, some people paid 94% in taxes. If any politician suggested that nowadays, they would have absolutely no future in politics. Of course we're not in a war to the extent of WWII, but we have Iraq, Social Security, education, and plenty of other needs that should be addressed, but most people aren't willing to pay for higher taxes. You can't have it both ways people.

I Will Teach You To Be Rich examines the lifestyles of his three friends who spend money like it's going out of style. He argues that since these people have their financial futures in order (contributing to IRA/401k, they should feel free to spend any excess money in whatever fashion they choose. While I agree that one should spend money to enjoy life, I find it rather sad that these people feel compelled to spend money on such fickle items. They are letting material possessions define happiness and who they are. If I were in their shoes, I would probably be more like the partier, but I would spend money on people whose company I enjoy. Sure, that may be akin to paying for a prostitute, but regardless of what you spend money on, you do vote with your wallet. Would you rather spend money on a $500 pair of shoes whose profits go to some lady in Paris or a good friend whose advice and company you enjoy?

Personal Finance Advice considers the skid mark safe. Being a DIY guy myself, I think I'll try and make my own one of these days.

Ask Uncle Bill gives an example of thinking outside the box - one of those ideas that is much discussed but rarely encountered, sort of like the Loch Ness monster.

The Simple Dollar gives some tips for a college student crushed by credit cards. Unfortunately, this is an all too familiar scenario, and if you're reading this, it may be preaching to the choir, but perhaps send this to your friends who could use the advice.

Lifehack.org shows us how AOL is branching into the online video field with videos that teach how to make home repairs. Being a DIY kind of guy, I'll probably be checking this out quite frequently to see what they put up.

That's it for this edition of the Sunday paper. If you have any articles next week that you find interesting, send them this way, and I'll try and post them.

StumbleUpon Toolbar

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your Sunday Paper series. Thanks for the good reads. Still cracking up about the Skid Mark Safe entry. Ewwww!

February 1, 2007 at 12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment! I always wonder whether anyone actually reads these or whether I'm doing them for my own personal entertainment/procrastination. I'll try to keep them going if I know people actually enjoy them.

February 2, 2007 at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home