Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Carnival of Personal Finance #85 Summary

I'm taking part in the Carnival of Personal Finance #85 hosted by Five Cent Nickel. After doing the last edition of the Sunday Paper, I realized how much time it was taking to read all of these posts and write about them, so I contemplated not doing these summaries/Sunday Paper, but that wouldn't be fair to neither me nor you all (y'all to those in the Bible belt, yous guys to the Yanks), so I've decided I'm going to implement a much more rigorous selection procedure as such:

1. If the title sounds uninteresting, I will not read it.
2. If I like the title, I will take a glimpse at it, but if the first few sentences don't make me want to ready any further, I will press the X at the top right corner of my window.
3. However, if there is something shiny, I will most likely read it, or stare at the shiny thing for a very long time.

Taking these new rules into account, here's the best (and shiniest) of the Carnival:

Clever Dude discusses the 3 methods to pay down debt. Financially, option 1 is the best choice as in it will save you the most money in the long run, but for some people, psychological benefits may be more important to success in paying off your debts, so to each his/her own.

ProBargainHunter shows us how to get De-LIGHT-ful savings. The epitome of my rule #3 above.

The Simple Dollar deconstructs Robert Kiyosaki. I must admit, I read his book a couple of months ago (for free while I sat in my local Borders one afternoon), and I was inspired to become financially independent. However, after reading several reviews of him, I've come to discover that this guy is basically a fraud, although perhaps not as much as this guy. Thanks for the inspiration, but I'll take the advice of some people who know what they're talking about. Times like these, I'm glad I'm cheap.

Making Our Way examines the great big lie about personal finance blogging. Why do I do it? I do it for the ladies.

Personal Finance for Students and Fresh Grads (he should really consider changing his name because it makes my fingers hurt every time I have to type it) gives us 12 tips for finding the best financial aid. Good reminder, I should get on that......

Even with such stringent selection criteria, many submissions survived the rounds of reduction. We'll see how the next one stacks up.... Festival of Frugality coming up next.

StumbleUpon Toolbar

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Thanks for the mention! Honored to get on that list with the new "strict" selection rules :)

Seriously though, I totally understand what you mean. I take forever when I sit down to read the carnivals and festivals and make such a list too!

PS: Sorry, I missed this post when it came out first, but you just proved to me that smart linkback to your own posts, does work (I have always wondered if it does) :)

February 5, 2007 at 12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home