Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Carnival of Personal Finance

I submitted my article Voiding Optional over at the Carnival of Personal Finance #80 hosted by My Personal Finance Blog. There seemed to be a lot of articles submitted, and the host didn't have much time to arrange them, so I took the liberty and picked out some of my favorites. Here is my mini-carnival:

Well-Heeled asks "Why don't we learn about money in school?" That's a good question. I always wanted to take econ in college because I wanted to know more about money, but I never got around to taking it. Maybe it was a good decision because what they teach you in econ classes is not personal finance, so I wouldn't have gotten much out of it.... except some numbers from those hot econ chicks.

Personal Finance for Students and Fresh Grads mentions me in "Finance blogs for/by students or fresh grads" Who you calling fresh? Just kidding playa!

An English Major's Money advises us on "How to set goals you can achieve." I'll be coming out with my own New Year's resolutions soon, so I'll definitely keep these suggestions in mind.

Ask Uncle Bill addresses the problem of decreasing the interest rate on student loans in "A REALLY stupid idea" Yes, he says it's a problem. The real problem is the unrestricted increases in the costs of higher education, which I completely understand. Just because it's higher education, doesn't mean you have to pay higher prices year after year, right?

And last, but not least, My Retirement Blog explains how it pays off to start early in "10 Rules for Starting Early" Ok, ok, so maybe there was a reason I put this last - because retirement is the last thing on some of your minds. But seriously, start early, and you and I can be kicking it on the beaches of Iceland sipping fish oil when we retire.

I don't know about you, but I kind of like this mini-carnival thing, and not just because it's something I did. If I (or you) ever want to go back and read something, I can find it much easier instead of searching through old carnivals. It's kind of like a bookmark, but even better because I get to add my own stupid comments. What do y'all think?

StumbleUpon Toolbar

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for highlighting my post! As you've already figured out, econ classes are very big-picture and not very applicable to personal finance (not to say they aren't useful or interesting!).

December 26, 2006 at 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention, Yoski! And I appreciate your comments on my blog about firefox - will try to get to it this weekend.

When I clicked on the links in your post, I noticed the page opens in the same window as your blog. Dunno if this is intentional. I always choose to open the link in a new window, so the readers will not forget to get back to my blog when they are done reading the other link :) I do this by adding target="_blank" following the url in the anchor tag.

December 27, 2006 at 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, I was thinking about changing that as well. Thanks for the advice!

December 27, 2006 at 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home