Friday, December 22, 2006

Gaining my religion

Interesting story that J.D. over at Get Rich Slowly posted. There is an evagelical minister that goes by the name of Revered Billy who heads up the Church of Stop Shopping up in the NYC. Now I know this may trouble some of you, but don't worry, it's not really a church - or at least it doesn't appear so.... except for the gospel choir part... The point is, while the "religion" is rather extreme on the surface - antishopping - he realizes the impossibility of such a feat. People will have to cave in and buy stuff eventually.

The gospel he preaches is about taking your purchasing power to your local mom and pop stores rather than big box and chain stores. I can agree with the philosophy, which I explained in an earlier post, but it's a number of factors, ranging from economics to environment to sustainability issues. All of J.D.'s posts from yesterday seem to touch on this, but I especially like the article on how he explains the internal debate that everyone must face when making purchasing decisions. In fact, just go check out his entire blog. I've recently gotten into the habit of keeping up with a few blogs, and Get Rich Slowly is one of those that finds interesting topics and is well written. In fact, I think I'm going to add it to my blog roll right now... well, I mean, after I finish writing this.

Links:
Church of Stop Shopping
StumbleUpon Toolbar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home