Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Voiding optional

Have you ever had a check written to you saying "void after 180 days"? Well, I have. Unfortunately, I had stuffed it away into a notebook during school, and I came across it, oh, about 2 years too late........ oh crap. Most people probably don't have problems like this because they deposit or cash their checks immediately whereas I have some sort of compulsion to procrastinate - even when these things would benefit me. So I was stuck.

I have a decent sized check written out to me - almost $150 - but it's expired. Should I try and change the "2004" to "2006" with my non-existent counterfitting skills, possibly committing a crime and ending up in jail where I'd be subject to the whims of a man who had not seen a woman in 10 years? On second though, I think I'll take it as a loss and consider it a lesson learned.

Still, this bug kept itching me. $150! That's a pretty expensive lesson to learn, at least when you're as young and poor as I am. I scoured FatWallet Forums to see if anyone else had encountered a similar situation, and lo and behold, they had! The expiration date on checks is more of a recommendation on part of the issuer so that some people forget about it and don't cash it because it's past the date. However, most banks will still accept checks even if it's past the date. Since I had two checks, I deposited one at Bank of America and the other one at Wachovia to see if either one or both would accept them. It's been over 2 weeks now, and both seem to have gone through without a hitch.

In summary, just remember expiration dates are optional, much like with food - although to a greater extent. Just because it says something is void after so many days, go ahead and deposit it.

Tags: ,
StumbleUpon Toolbar

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once found a huge check that was past the expiration date: I called the issuer and they reissued it. I vowed to open all my mail after that date -- and, I have stuck to that vow. But, we have a $20.00 check issued to my son. I think we'll go deposit it and see what happens.

December 30, 2006 at 7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have rebate checks that have expired, most rebate companies close the account after a certain time and bank doesn't want to honor the check. Just call up the rebate company and say that you never received the check. They will send you another one.

December 31, 2006 at 5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home